State Government Affairs ManagerFull-Time Position | Remote or In-Office (East Dundee, IL) Apply Now
Veritas Association Management seeks State Government Affairs Manager for the American Association of Clinical Urologists, an organization that advocates for federal policies that improve urologic practice and protects the professional autonomy of its members and support the highest quality of care for patients. At the national level and state level, the association has specific legislative priorities on many fronts however the focus of this position is on state advocacy.
The primary responsibility of the Advocacy Manager is, in coordination with and under the direction of the Health Policy Chair, The State Advocacy Chair, and the Executive Director, to plan and manage federal and state advocacy efforts to achieve the public policy goals of the AACU. This position would also work to support initiatives of the AACU State Advocacy Network healthy policy initiatives.
Essential functions and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and implement all advocacy activities focusing on federal and state policy.
- In conjunction with the member leaders of AACU, manage year-round state policy advocacy activities.
- Mobilize advocates on federal issues in coordination with the Public Policy Home Office and on states issues in coordination with the state government affairs staff, including ensuring timely and effective response to policy developments by advocates.
- Work with advocates to promote the Association’s federal and state policy priorities in earned and social media.
- Plan and implement coffees with Congress, town halls/community events with members of the state’s congressional delegation and/or their staff.
- Engage Section Representatives and Board Members in advocacy activities.
- Provide a periodic update of relevant state and federal legislative matters to Association.
- Represent the chapter at public forums, conferences, state task forces, government agencies, etc. on public policy issues as needed.
- Promote and assist advocate volunteers in the promotion of UROPAC, the bipartisan political action committee sponsored by the American Association of Clinical Urologists
- Provide necessary training and materials for staff and volunteers.
- Assist and collaborate with member leaders to ensure legislators, legislative staff, and other government officials understand urological conditions and are aware of the policy concerns of urologists.
- Assist and collaborate with the member leaders and Director of Content Strategy to coordinate media outreach that promotes the Association’s state and federal policy priorities, including through press releases, letters to the editor, and other earned media events.
- Assist and collaborate with the Director of Development as necessary and appropriate to achieve advocacy mission and goals.
- Manage advocacy database, including by ensuring advocates are reporting activities and contacts with federal and state officials.
- Track and report activities to ensure compliance with federal and state lobbying laws.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. Political Science, Public Affairs, or similar degrees a plus.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in grassroots advocacy, volunteer management, or community organizing, preferably with non-profit organizations.
- Current contacts within state government and the federal congressional delegation a plus.
- Political or issue advocacy campaign experience desired.
- Have strong and extensive experience in volunteer recruitment, volunteer management, and/or working with volunteers.
- Be familiar with health care issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability/willingness to travel frequently across the state, including some evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrate the ability to anticipate, identify, organize, and analyze public policy opportunities.
- Possess excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Be detail oriented, adaptable, organized, and able to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Be a proven self-starter with excellent judgment and careful attention to detail.
- Able to work effectively with diverse populations with a high level of integrity, diplomacy, and initiative.
- Be proficient in the use of personal computers, Microsoft software applications, graphic design programs and/or alert management programs.
- Physical Activity that includes standing; walking; sitting; fingering or manual dexterity; repetitive finger motion; lifting or exerting force up to 25 pounds; reaching or stretching; climbing or balancing; speaking; hearing; seeing (close vision, focusing ability); frequent travel; frequent driving.
- Competitive salary
- Competitive medical, dental & vision benefits
- Unlimited PTO
- Remote work opportunity
View all jobs at Veritas
East Dundee, IL
About Veritas Association Management
Founded in 2013, Veritas Association Management is an industry leader in association management and professional meeting execution. The company specializes in helping professional medical organizations become more efficient, effective, and impactful within their respective specialties and communities.
Veritas Association Management
1061 East Main Street, Suite 300
East Dundee, Illinois 60118
© Veritas Association Management 2023. All Rights Reserved.